Tate Britain

So, on Wednesday the 25th of January I went to Tate Britian. I saw so many amazing paintings that took my breath away. Here are a few in particular:
This painting is of Elizabeth I, painted in 1563. It is believed to be the first full-length painting
Photo taken by me
of the queen. As a whole the painting is very decorative and elaborate, representing her status as royalty, especially in the golds and reds. The garden seen on the right side can be representative of both her marriage status and the fruitfulness of her lifestyle.



Photo taken by me


This next one is called "Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose" by John Singer Sargent in 1885-6. I find the inspiration for this piece particularly interesting. Sargent saw Chinese paper lanterns while on a boat ride on the Thames, they were hanging up among flowers such as lilies and carnations.


Photo taken by me
My favorite I truly believe is Ophelia painted by Sir John Everett Millais in 1851-2. I find the painting just extremely beautiful and I love looking at it. It is a representation of a scene from Shakespeare's Hamlet, when Ophelia drowns herself in a stream.



Sources: 

Comments

Popular Posts