Thoughts on Shadowhunters | SPOILERS

Hey guys,

So I was thinking about it and I decided to spill some of my thoughts about the new Shadowhunters TV Show on FreeForm (previously ABC Family). 
SPOILERS BELOW
When I started watching the show I was excited to see a new take on the series. I've loved the series for a while now and whilst I loved the cast for the City of Bones movie I felt like it could've been heavily improved. 


Now with the TV Show. 
1. A couple things I like
I actually like them aging Clary (and the others) up a bit seeing as in the books they were only 15. I also like that Clary is "auditioning" (idk what word to use?) for art school as I feel like that is very Clary. I also do like some of the cast, I feel like their acting is a bit inexperienced/off at times but I think that is to be expected with a new series--I think over time that can get better. I like the guy playing Magnus, I feel like he's pulling the character off extremely well.
2. Jocelyn's "Introduction"
I don't think I really liked that Jocelyn was planning to tell Clary about her world, as in the books Jocelyn wasn't.

3. The Steeles
The ones they are using are Jace's from the film (there were also replicas sold at Hot Topic), which is fine, however ON the Steele is the Fearless Rune (looks like an eye with an X across it), which I believe Clary created later on in the books.
4. Clary's Necklace
what is that? I don't understand what it is or the point of it.
 
5. The Institute. 
While I LOVE the way the outside looks, my biggest problem would probably be the number of Shadowhunters IN the NY Institute. The Shadowhunters are a DYING race, there aren't many left. The only ones in the NY Institute at the time are the Lightwoods, Jace, and Hodge. In this version the Institute is full of Shadowhunters and there's also a TON of fancy technology, which actually irks me. I liked the somewhat modern-technology-less way they had, it was a bit refreshing.  (I couldn't find a good pic of the inside)
6. The Vampires
Okay so my biggest pet-peeve is, not the fact that Camille is actually there (which is an issue that I don't really feel like addressing as there isn't much to say), but that the Vampires were able to kidnap Simon and say that they weren't breaking the Accords. The Accords basically say that Downworlders can't harm humans, that INCLUDES (I assume, at least, correct me if I'm wrong) kidnapping. The Clave wouldn't allow the Vamps to take Simon, they wouldn't be like "Oh, well they aren't necessarily hurting him, just holding him hostage until they get the MORTAL CUP which, you know, could cause major damage to the continuation of our race." It is the job of the Shadowhunters to protect humans from Downworlders. PLUS THEY FED ON HIM! THAT FREAKING COUNTS!

In the books Simon was accidentally taken as a rat by a group of Vamps, said Vamps fought against Clary and Jace after they broke into the Hotel Dumort. They didn't ever feed on Simon--they didn't even see him in his normal human form. I understand that the show (obviously) couldn't do that whole turning Simon into cat food (sorry rat lovers) thing, but I think they could have asked Cassandra Clare a better alternative to keep it as true to the story as possible.
7. Izzy's Necklace
Okay so I know they initially didn't have the necklace in the show (or something like that) and there was a big fan uproar, and now the necklace is there. UNFORTUNATELY they screwed up the backstory. 
In the books the necklace was given to Camille from Magnus while they were together (a long time previously). When the pair broke up she returned the necklace to Magnus and Magnus gave it to Will Herondale who gave it to his sister Cecily where it was passed into the Lightwood line, eventually becoming Izzy's. 

In the SHOW, the core story of Magnus and Camille was there BUT the necklace was instead in the care of the Institute as a whole, not just Izzy Lightwood. This necklace was something that Magnus wanted back so badly that he would be willing to come out of hiding (from Valentine) to get it. I'm sorry but I do not buy that. Magnus is over 300 years old he isn't the type to come out of hiding for a necklace (even if it does remind him of Camille, even if it does warn of danger.) I just don't believe that. Plus I liked the original story behind it. 

8. Valentine
I'm sorry, I just can't get over this. I feel like Valentine was poorly cast (this is nothing against the actor I think he's pretty good). I think of Valentine as someone who makes an impact. When you see him you instantly thing *snaps fingers* that's Valentine Morganstern with Alan Van Sprang(left) I don't get that. I have to remind myself oh! that's Valentine, right, I forgot. I felt like Jonathan Rhys(right) Meyers did that.
 



9. Jace and Clary's Relationship Story Development
WHY IS IT DEVELOPING SO FAST? It was a slower in the books and with it being a TV show I feel like it could take it's time. I think they could really go into serious detail with it, instead they seem to gloss over it a lot. 
Also where is Jace's snarky tone? He's all hard-edged right now. I need more of the jerk Jace, less of the stone wall Jace. 
I actually feel like the entire storyline is going too fast to be honest.

Okay I'm just going to call this PART 1, because I can't think of the other things at the moment but I may later, plus the first season isn't over yet. Whilst I do think all of these things, I am going to keep tabs on the show as I do still hope it will align more with the books in the future. 
I am a huge lover of the books, and can't wait to read Lady Midnight. Cassandra Clare is my favorite author, not only do I love her books but I also love how interactive she is with her fans. She's a fantastic writer and I want to support her work fully, I also want her work to be reflected properly in the show, so far I'm kind of disappointed. 

Let me know what you think, have you read the books? Have you not? What did you think of the show, either way? Am I nit-picking or justified? I genuinely can't tell.

Thanks for reading,
Jazz

The Books
The Show

Comments

Popular Posts